header 1
header 2
header 3

In Memory

E. Dewayne Ash

E. Dewayne Ash
February 17, 1925 - March 23, 2018

Earl Dewayne Ash, born in Nebraska in 1925, moved to Finley when he was 12. He grew up in the Tri Cities and graduated from Hover High School. Dewayne returned from summer work in the Salomon National Forest in 1943 where he began his career in firefighting. He met his wife to be, Dorothy, that same year and was happily married for 73 years.

He lived a good life. He was a career firefighter, before 911 made all firemen heroes. He lived to hunt and fish, and was fortunate to live the best parts of his life in Alaska where he lived out his dream on a daily basis.

Dewayne and family moved from the Tri cities to Seattle where he started working at Sand Point Naval Air Station, civil service with the Navy, as a firefighter. They moved to the farm at Stanwood until 1965. Then began the Alaska years. They lived at Adak, Valdez, Soldotna, and Kasilof. After leaving Adak, and retiring as the fire chief, they moved to Valdez where he was a safety officer for the Alyeska Pipeline. In his free time away from Alyeska, he and Dorothy fished both sport and commercial for salmon, halibut and shrimp. They hosted many friends and relatives. He spent time hunting wild game from deer to moose, but his favorite was his Dahl Sheep hunts in the Wrangel Mountains where he had numerous interesting encounters with grizzly bears.
After 7 years at Valdez, they moved to the Kenai Peninsula where he was retired and spent most of his extra time doing the fishing he loved. With great reluctance, after 28 full time years in Alaska, they moved back to Washington but continued to drive the Al-Can highway spring and fall for 21 more years before returning to the Tri Cities for good.

He is survived by his wife Dorothy, brother Wilbur Ash, sister Gladys Hughes, son Merle Ash and wife Adele, daughter Beverley Ash Bingaman and husband Michael, grandchildren Alia Ash, Alex Ash, Mikal White, Tiffany Bingaman Lynch, Jessica Robbins, and Jerod Bingaman, 11 great grandchildren and one great great granddaughter.

He was a true friend, a loving husband, a cherished father and grandfather and one heck of a fisherman. He will be missed by everyone who knew him. The family invites you to sign their tribute wall at: www.muellersfuneralhomes.com


Published in Tri-City Herold on Mar 27, 2018

Muellers Funeral Homes, Kennewick, WA


go to bottom 
  Post Comment

04/07/18 11:25 AM #1    

Bill Howitt

We used to buy shrimp from Dewayne right off his boat in Valdez Harbor.  He was always generous and great to deal with. Rest in Peace after a very full life.

04/07/18 06:25 PM #2    

Glenn Meidinger

In my years working for Alyeska at the Terminal (and many other projects), Dwayne was the best Safety//Fire person I encountered. He was concientious and tough...in a very friendly way. We became friends through the years. Good man.  RIP

04/08/18 08:52 AM #3    

Willard (Bill) Oftedal

I'll always remember Dewayne with fondness and respect. He was the best Fire & Safety person I've ever met in addition to being one of the finest people. 

I remember one time commercial halibut fishing, Killer whales started stripping our hooks as we pulled the gear, so we stopped pulling for about an hour until they got tired and left. I found out later they went over to Dewayne's boat which was working about a mile away from us,and he ended loosing at least two skates of gear in addition to quite a few halibut. I always felt sort of bad about that.

04/10/18 05:13 AM #4    

Barry Kennedy

I remember Dewayne coming up to me, putting his hand on my shoulder and telling me if he caught me without my hardhat again ................ He was a fine individual and role model to most of us.... RIP Dewayne... Barry

04/12/18 04:30 PM #5    

Bill Schnell

I used to ride to work with Dewayne and Warren Mivitnikoff in the early days.  I remember one night in a blizzard we stopped on Dayville Rd because we thought we saw someone on the side of the road.  It turned out to be John Liberty. He thought he would ride his snow mobile to work. We loaded the machiine in the back of Dewayne's pickup behind the wheeled fire extinguisher. That is when the fun started.  Before it was done, several vehicles were dammaged and we almost locked horns with the State snow plow.  We ended up throwing John's snow mobile over the bank. Through the whole thing Dewayne remained quite calm.  I will miss him.


05/01/18 09:28 AM #6    

Gary Bader

I worked with DeWayne duiring the early 80's, he was one of the most competent Safety Representatives I knew.  I learned early that if you didn't want to hear the real and true answer then don't ask the question.  I learned a lot from DeWayne.  

My wife and I visited Dorothy in Kennewick Wa on April 11/12, she is a remarkable woman and doing just fine under the circumstances.  

12/23/18 12:45 PM #7    

Tom McCarty

DeWayne would often drop by BWT for a coffee and chat. One of the good guys with a great sense of humor that always had your back, and a good story to tell. Miss ya Dewayne.

go to top 
  Post Comment